"The fundamental goal of the physical education program is to provide the opportunities for the pupils to obtain the skills and knowledge to be physically active as part of a healthy lifestyle. Students should become competent in movement forms, motor skills, and social skills and learn to enjoy physical activity while not compromising safety"
At Key Stage 2 pupils should derive development, personal meaning from movement and enjoyment as they gain competence in movement ability. At Key Stage 3 participation in physical activity provides important opportunities for challenge, social interaction, group membership and serves an important role in physical maturation processes. Finally at Key Stage 4 Physical Education aims to provide enjoyment, challenge, social opportunities and a greater opportunity for self-expression and personal meaning.
The current Year 10 and Year 11 are following a BTEC Level 1/2 First Award in Sport course PE which includes practical coursework elements, with the learners sitting an online exam when ready.
- Exam board: Edexcel – BTEC Level 1/2 First Award in Sport (BPKK3)
As a result of these benefits of physical activity, students will begin to actively pursue lifelong physical activities that meet their own needs. Cognitive understandings develop from an initial awareness of the cause and effect relationships between activity and it’s immediate and identifiable effects of the body. Additionally, the role of physical activity on physiological, social, and emotional well-being as well as comprehensive perspective on the meaning of a healthy lifestyle will be clearly understood.
Students who master these skills will reap the benefits of a physically active lifestyle, better health, higher educational achievement, and better preparation for work, improved attendance, and lower health care costs. Establishments of lifelong patterns of participation in physical activity expands beyond the physical class to the opportunities and support provided by the school and community. Physical Education, in combination with school-wide and community programs and services, encourages and supports healthy behaviours and the lifelong challenges students will face.
- The students will be encouraged to recognise and employ various avenues of physical activity available in the promotion and maintenance of lifetime personal well-being. Whilst gaining enjoyment and appreciation of physical activity through experience with a variety of selected activities.
- To stress the importance of pro-active attention to safe practices in all areas of physical education. Students will learn to take responsibility for practicing safely and preventing injuries.
- To enable the students to discover the necessity of taking a comprehensive approach to wellness through physical activity, nutrition, risk avoidance, and other health-enhancing activities.
- To empower the students to develop the positive social skills necessary to interact with others.
- To provide students with the opportunities to develop fundamental and specialized skills necessary to encourage regular participation in lifetime physical activity.
- To use technology to develop a physically active lifestyle, enhance technological skills through hands-on experiences, and understand that technology is a significant factor in a comprehensive approach to wellness and learning.
School Games Gold Mark Awards