- Provide a broad and balanced Science curriculum that is accessible to all pupils.
- Deliver opportunities for students to learn to be successful, to gain useful, transferable skills whilst also acquiring relevant knowledge.
- Ensure that all pupils are able to thrive and develop as healthy individuals and informed citizens.
- Ensure that all pupils understand how lifestyle choices can affect their health.
- Provide an appropriate range of opportunities and experiences to inspire pupils to succeed in the next stage in their education, training or employment.
At Brompton Hall School we recognise the importance of Science, not only as one of the core subjects, but also in every aspect of daily life. At Brompton Hall School, Scientific learning is concerned with increasing pupils’ knowledge and understanding of our world, and with developing skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry. It develops the natural curiosity of our pupils, encourages respect for living organisms and the physical environment and provides opportunities for critical evaluation of evidence.
We teach a 2 year Ks3 programme to Year 7 and Year 8. The Teaching is sequential and the Year 7, Biology, Chemistry and Physics topics provide a basis of knowledge for the topics covered in Year 8. A focus of the Ks3 curriculum is the embedding of scientific key skills, across the three disciplines, of scientific attitudes, Experimental Skills and Investigation, Analysis and Evaluation and Measurement. The range of topics covered at Ks3 supports the progression of learners into Ks4 Science.
BTEC Firsts in Applied Science provide a practical, real-world approach to learning and develop specific knowledge and skills learners need to work successfully P in the applied science industry, such as:
- discovering the world of applied science and how it has an impact on our world today
- communication skills to articulate and discuss new ideas or work as a team to solve problems
- health and safety in the workplace and the appropriate procedures and legislation
- how mathematics is essential to applied science success.
Learners will also be able to present their work in a variety of ways, including: written work, presentations, models and demonstrations.
BTEC PRINCIPLES OF APPLIED SCIENCE
Unit 1: Externally assessed exam. I hour
Biology: structure and function of cells, organs and genes, roles of the nervous and endocrine systems in homeostasis and communication.
Chemistry: atomic structure and the periodic table, substances and chemical reactions
Physics: the importance of energy stores, energy transfers and energy transformations, the properties and applications of waves in the electromagnetic spectrum
Internally assessed coursework units
- Chemical reactivity and bonding
- Investigating physical and chemical properties
- Investigating the rates of chemical reactions
- How humans affect the Earth and its environment
- The Solar System and the Universe
- Production of electrical energy
- Understanding ionising radiation
- Variation and evolution, Interdependence
- The effect of human activity on ecosystems
- Explore the factors that affect human health
BTEC APPLICATIONS OF APPLIED SCIENCE
Unit 1: Externally assessed exam. 1 hour 15 minutes
Understand how to produce a good plan for an investigation
Process, present and analyse data, and draw evidence-based conclusions
Evaluate evidence and investigative methods
Internally assessed coursework units
- Temperature changes associated with chemical reactions
- Using organic compounds
- Nanochemistry and new materials
- Investigating motion
- Investigating forces
- Investigating applications of light and sound
- Investigating an application of electricity
- Investigate factors that contribute to healthy living
- Preventative measures against ill health
- Investigating medical treatments
- provides opportunities for our students to acquire technical and employability skills, knowledge and understanding which are transferable and will enable individuals to meet changing circumstances;
- gives opportunities for our students to focus on the development of the major key skills and the wider key skills in context, such as improving their own learning and performance and working with others;
- increases the opportunities for our students to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
Qualification Pathway: BTEC First Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Principles of Applied Science 600/4787/2
Qualification Pathway: BTEC First Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Applications of Applied Science 600/4796/3
For information on the topics taught in each term, please visit Brompton Hall School Curriculum Plan
As Science is important for many future career choices. BTEC Science supports pupils in achieving the entry requirements to progress to post-16 placements.
BTEC Firsts in Applied Science can help in the first steps towards a career in a wide range of sectors such as process, industrial, medical, or forensic science, as the course covers scientific principles and how to put them into practice in the workplace.