Mental health and wellbeing is integrated into all aspects of school life in the academic curriculum and residential time. To support that strategy we've created the Wellbeing Hub. This is a quiet, relaxed environment where the boys can meet with staff and healthcare professionals one to one. They have the opportunity to discuss their needs, personal development and any issues they may have, all with a view to improving their general wellbeing and mental health.
Wellbeing Hub Current Services:
- Careers advice and support from our Specialist Careers Advisor;
- Health and Medical advice and support for young people, parents & carers from our School Nurse;
- 1:1 Counselling by our Specialist Counsellor on Tuesdays and Wednesdays;
- 1:1 therapy and mindfulness by our Wellbeing Support Worker on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays;
The 1:1 sessions are for any students who have been identified as needing the additional support for reasons such as anger issues, emotional support for family issues and anxiety problems. Wellbeing Hub team liaise with parents when required and have an agreement to offer weekly phone calls to one parent each Monday, although we are hoping to extended the service to work with more parents if required.
A referral form system has been set up for students who have been identified as needing support, once the referral forms are submitted, they are discussed / approved by the Safeguarding Team and the support sessions organised. Regular meetings are held between the Safeguarding Team and Wellbeing Hub staff to ensure that all issues each young person is facing are addressed, where appropriate.
Potential Additional Services in the future:
- Parental / Carers support and counselling services;
- Counselling and therapy sessions offered to other schools in the area;
- Counselling and therapy offered to staff within BHS;
- Telephone 'check-in' with parents in the holidays to offer support and advice;
- 'On Call' in school holidays for emergencies;